Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
MemberD #48262 02/19/16 07:09 PM

Brian #48263 02/20/16 01:29 PM
Will there be a digital release? Even if I wanted vinyl I'd be worried about it crossing the ocean and a fair chunk of North America intact.

Of course, this being a John Foxx-related release, I half expect a CD combining the contents of this and Exponentialism plus one or two exclusive new tracks on CD as soon as this record sells out...

T
T
Originally Posted By: Steve Roby
Will there be a digital release? Even if I wanted vinyl I'd be worried about it crossing the ocean and a fair chunk of North America intact.

Of course, this being a John Foxx-related release, I half expect a CD combining the contents of this and Exponentialism plus one or two exclusive new tracks on CD as soon as this record sells out...

Exponentialism is currently on emusic, so I would suggest it is a possibility, mind you that was released on CD (if that makes any difference, I don't know).

Looking wider, I wonder if there is any hunger for a full tribute album - covering tracks from right across John's career but especially 1981 to 1985!

Last edited by the church puddle; 02/23/16 08:21 PM.
I've read a comment on Twitter on John's account saying there would be a download
version available in March.

Brian

Brian #48280 02/25/16 08:01 PM
Another track has appeared on Soundcloud.

The Softmoon cover of No One driving:-

https://soundcloud.com/metamatic-records/the-soft-moon-no-one-driving

Brian

Brian #48281 02/25/16 10:07 PM
I
I
Originally Posted By: Brian
Another track has appeared on Soundcloud.

The Softmoon cover of No One driving:-

https://soundcloud.com/metamatic-records/the-soft-moon-no-one-driving

Brian

Why did they bother ? It's awful. The original will be turning in its grave. It's the sonic equivalent of "Jackson Pollock does Caravaggio "
*awaits impending ban from forum*

yes it is a bit of a strange one.

Try Wranger & Gazelle Twin He's a Liquid instead:-

https://soundcloud.com/thequietus/wrangler-ft-gazelle-twin-hes-a-liquid

Brian

Wow - that's bad! That's really bad! That's like half the crap on those Minimal Wave compilations.

Easy tiger - nowt wrong with Pollock!

Brian #48285 02/27/16 02:26 AM
Originally Posted By: the church puddle
Looking wider, I wonder if there is any hunger for a full tribute album - covering tracks from right across John's career but especially 1981 to 1985!

Well, I'd be interested, especially if it also included the first three Ultravox albums as source material. The Church covered "Hiroshima Mon Amour" a few years back, after all.

Originally Posted By: Brian
I've read a comment on Twitter on John's account saying there would be a download
version available in March.

Great. I think I can wait that long.

Administrator
Administrator

I like all the tracks on here - but some more than others.
Soft Moon's vocal is not very good at all and it is the weakest track

Personally, I have struggled to see the logic behind its release though, especially when considering Exponentialism from a couple of years ago.

It would have made more sense (to me) if the original idea was carried through - to release an album of cover versions of ALL of Metamatic, which I think was first mooted sometime in the late 1990s...

There MUST be many bands from a wide spectrum (rather than limiting it to this inner sanctum) that would consider an invitation and be given a track each, as Foxx was for the Wish You Were Here project. Instead, we have six Metamatic tracks across two EPS of which THREE are He's A Liquid.
Ironically, one of my personal Least Favourites, but that is by the by.

So while I like the music, I find the release a little disappointing

While I am grumbling, why why why are there so many previews and listening options available (soundcloud, you tube, band websites etc) I think all that diminishes the effect of the release itself.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.