Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
21st Century: A Man, A Woman And A City is a seventeen track compilation of John Foxx's work from 2000 - 2015 which includes two brand new John Foxx And The Maths tracks, a new re-working of Talk featuring Gary Numan, two previously unreleased remixes by OMD and ADULT., and tracks with Matthew Dear, Gazelle Twin, Ghost Box, Louis Gordon, Jori Hulkkonen and Robin Guthrie.

The Deluxe Edition also features a DVD entitled A Man, A Woman And A City consisting of eleven films created by renowned Japanese director Macoto Tezka with music by John Foxx And The Maths.

Also exclusive to this Deluxe Edition is a digital download of three previously unreleased John Foxx And The Maths recordings featuring John Foxx, Benge and Hannah Peel at MemeTune Studios. These will be automatically downloaded as part of the Deluxe Edition on the day of release and will not be available on any other version of the album.

The accompanying artwork is by Jonathan Barnbrook.

The track-listing is as follows...

Disc One : CD
01. A Funny Thing [John Foxx and Louis Gordon]
02. Never Let Me Go [John Foxx and Louis Gordon]
03. Evergreen [John Foxx And The Maths]
04. Interplay [John Foxx And The Maths]
05. Catwalk [John Foxx And The Maths]
06. Talk (Beneath Your Dreams) [John Foxx And The Maths (featuring Matthew Dear)]
07. Tides [John Foxx And The Maths]
08. Evidence (Radio Edit) [John Foxx And The Maths (featuring The Soft Moon)]
09. Evangeline (Radio Edit) [John Foxx and Jori Hulkkonen]
10. Almost There [John Foxx and The Belbury Circle]
11. A Many Splendoured Thing [John Foxx And The Maths]
12. A Man And A Woman [John Foxx And The Maths]
13. Estrellita [John Foxx and Robin Guthrie]
14. The Good Shadow (OMD Remix) [John Foxx And The Maths (featuring The Soft Moon)]
15. Changelings [John Foxx And The Maths (featuring Gazelle Twin)]
16. The Shadow Of His Former Self (ADULT. Remix) [John Foxx And The Maths]
17. Talk (Are You Listening To Me?) [John Foxx And The Maths (featuring Gary Numan)]

Disc Two : DVD
01. Astoria
02. A Man And A Woman
03. Psytron
04. Evidence
05. Neon Vertigo
06. Talk
07. Myriads
08. Walk
09. A Falling Star
10. Cloud Choreography
11. Only Lovers Left Alive
12. Psytron 2

Digital Download
01. Evidence (Live At MemeTune Studios)
02. My Town (Live At MemTune Studios)
03. Walk (Live At MemeTune Studios)

Release Date : 29th of April, 2016
Label : Metamatic Records
Catalogue Number (Deluxe Edition) : META61CDDVD
Catalogue Number (Standard Edition) : META61CD

Pre-order the Deluxe Edition (CD & DVD) : http://johnfoxx.tmstor.es/cart/product.php?id=27400

Pre-order the Standard Edition (CD Only) : http://johnfoxx.tmstor.es/cart/product.php?id=27399

Rob

Cheers Rob,

This looks lovely – and no complaints from me at all…just a query – any reason why any of the work with Budd didn’t make the selection?

As much as I’m looking forward to hearing the unreleased material, I’m really looking forward to the Macoto Tezka films.

Ditto.

Just one question: Is Evidence (Radio Edit) the version released on 7" by The Soft Moon?
http://www.metamatic.com/mindexdocs/evidence02.shtml

M
M
Excellent!

The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Originally Posted By: MemberD
Just one question: Is Evidence (Radio Edit) the version released on 7" by The Soft Moon? http://www.metamatic.com/mindexdocs/evidence02.shtml

No, it's a Radio Edit of the version which appears on the Evidence album...

Originally Posted By: RadioBeach
This looks lovely – and no complaints from me at all... just a query – any reason why any of the work with Budd didn’t make the selection?

Sadly no ambient material made it on there - we had to limit it to being a song-based compilation.

Originally Posted By: RadioBeach
As much as I’m looking forward to hearing the unreleased material, I’m really looking forward to the Macoto Tezka films.

Oh absolutely... laugh

Rob

A very interesting collection of tracks. The Macoto Tezka films are a bonus.

P
P
Wow. Another compilation? I have to admit that it looks fantastic and the track list is salted with enough novelty that buying will be the thing. It will be interesting to hear something from Numan that I might like, for a change. And OMD mixing Foxx? How symmetrical, though I daresay that OMD had benefitted far more from The Maths mixing "Dresden" than The Maths could ever get back from OMD, as much as I love them. And two new Maths tracks? Sign me up, though I am concerned that that band seems to be in Foxx's rear view mirror with the whiff of loose ends rising up from this compilation. I would like to think that The Maths are not finished by a long shot. Hopefully this is just a respite from an intense period of activity.

And I still would pay a serious amount of money for a ticket to a US Maths show.

T
T
I think the films by Macoto Tezka were easily the standouts on D.N.A., so this should be very interesting indeed.

The Foxx/Numan collaboration version of Talk has premiered on Soho Radio

https://www.mixcloud.com/sohoradio/the-remix-with-eddy-temple-morris-01042016/

41 minutes in.

Oh and I notice the release date has slipped a week.

Brian

Last edited by Brian; 04/03/16 08:53 PM.
The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Both versions of 21st Century : A Man, A Woman And A City are now available to pre-order on Amazon...

Pre-order the Deluxe Edition (CD & DVD) : http://amzn.to/206tKcb

Pre-order the Standard Edition (CD Only) : http://amzn.to/1oB4blR

Please note that the three tracks (Evidence, My Town and Walk) which were recorded Live At MemeTune Studios are ONLY available as a digital download with copies of the Deluxe Edition of 21st Century : A Man, A Woman And A City which are purchased from http://johnfoxx.tmstor.es/cart/product.php?id=27400.

Rob

Now all for release 20/05/2016?

The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Originally Posted By: MemberD

Now all for release 20/05/2016?

Yes, I was advised earlier this morning.

Unfortunately there have been some production issues which have resulted in the delay.

Rob

Originally Posted By: Rob Harris

Yes, I was advised earlier this morning.

Unfortunately there have been some production issues which have resulted in the delay.

Rob

Ok, fair enough. Thanks Rob.

Soundcloud version linked here....

Talk - Foxx / Numan

Well, it sounds like JF and GN. And I don't dislike it.
But it also sounds like two very different songs mixed together in the middle JF leading into GN.

Going back to listen again.

Administrator
Administrator

I really like the track. I think Numan has been sensitively creative with it.

I am however not convinced that this Soundcloud link via The Quietus is a 'world exclusive'. The track was played on Soho Radio by Eddy Temple-Morris a week ago and he too introduced it as a 'world exclusive'...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Going to stick my neck out here.

I love the JF bit.
I love the GN bit too.

Do they belong together?

That is for the artists to decide.

My simple ears tell me there are two stonking tunes fighting to get out, but I feel that we only hear half of each!

Well maybe more than half, it isn't a simple equation is it?

Administrator
Administrator

I hear what you're saying. Perhaps Are 'Friends' Electric had the same reaction.

Maybe there's a reason John and Gary have not collaborated before...?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
F
F
First a big hello to all! smile

Although I like Foxx and Numan each on their own this combination of both is imho sub-par. It all sounds very 'Maths' with Numan forcibly on top, seems it just 'had to work'. If this is what all combined fans were waiting for it failed as for me. Think they both deserve a far better tune as a collaboration!
I do look forward to the dvd with Tezka videos!

groetjes!
fons

An interesting collaboration.

Rather than Gary working with an already existing track, it would have been great if they could have come up with a brand new track together from scratch. Now that would have been mindblowing!

T
T
I have to admit that I was underwhelmed when it was revealed "Talk" was the track. I'll reserve judgement until I hear it of course.

F
F
Originally Posted By: Rob Harris

Please note that the three tracks (Evidence, My Town and Walk) which were recorded Live At MemeTune Studios are ONLY available as a digital download with copies of the Deluxe Edition of 21st Century : A Man, A Woman And A City which are purchased from http://johnfoxx.tmstor.es/cart/product.php?id=27400.

Rob

Sorry if I'm being fick, but how do I actually download the bonus tracks?

F
F
Ah - figured it out - I gotta log in to my Townsend account first. eek

I have to say that this is a nice selection of tracks. They hang well together.It shows that John has produced some excellent stuff since the turn of the century (and before of course).

F
F
Just finally got round to watching the DVD there.

There's a lot of visual elegance in there. Although I'm afraid my poor ape brain keeps looking for narratives wink

One thing that keeps setting my teeth on edge: the timing of the first line of John's vocal in EVIDENCE - arrrrrrrgh, it's a disaster. Get with the rhythm, John!!! laugh

I am now getting confused trying to work out where all the tracks actually come from. Did I already have them? Or are they new for this DVD? Are they only on the DVD or on the audio CD too?!?
Lest it aid any others, if I'm not wrong, we have:

1. Astoria - a little instrumental from THE SHAPE OF THINGS (2nd John Foxx & the Maths album)
2. A Man and a Woman - NEW SONG for this album
3. Psytron - again a little instrumental from THE SHAPE OF THINGS
4. Evidence - title SONG from the 3rd JF & the Maths album/EP
5. Neon Vertigo - an instrumental from EVIDENCE
6. Talk - a song from THE SHAPE OF THINGS
7. Myriads - intrumental from Evidence
8. Walk - a blurry song from EVIDENCE
9. A Falling Star - plaintive song from INTERPLAY (1st JF & the Maths album)
10. Cloud Choreography - perky intstrumental from EVIDENCE
11. Only Lovers Left Alive - languid song from EVIDENCE
12. Psytron 2

Last edited by feline1; 06/03/16 08:35 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.