Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Originally Posted By: Birdsong
This new framework has been carefully considered to give us enormous flexibility in the future and space / logic with which to present everything that is John Foxx. And believe me, that's quite a complex beast that constantly defies a lot of categorisation!!

Am I missing something here?
NEWS: Yes there's news there about releases and gigs.
DISCOGRAPHY: nothing there, still under construction
ARCHIVE: still under construction and only 77-79 are active, like they were half a year ago.
I know you're doing this in spare time (I hate that word and believe it doesn't exist) but as it is now, there's hardly any content here at all...

The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Originally Posted By: Nisei
Originally Posted By: Birdsong
This new framework has been carefully considered to give us enormous flexibility in the future and space / logic with which to present everything that is John Foxx. And believe me, that's quite a complex beast that constantly defies a lot of categorisation!!

Am I missing something here?
NEWS: Yes there's news there about releases and gigs.
DISCOGRAPHY: nothing there, still under construction
ARCHIVE: still under construction and only 77-79 are active, like they were half a year ago.
I know you're doing this in spare time (I hate that word and believe it doesn't exist) but as it is now, there's hardly any content here at all...

Just because there doesn't 'appear' to be any activity doesn't mean that this website is dormant, and that no work is being done to move it forward. I can assure you that the reverse is true and that a huge amount of work has been done on it since the beginning of the year - in fact we're just in the midst of finalising / proofing a new area ahead of it being made live.

However, you are right about there being no such thing as 'spare time'... crazy

The main problem with working on a website is that it does have to be done in stages - as and when 'real life' allows - usually (and time permitting) at the end of a day or at a weekend. It's also got to be approached in a logical way, as opposed to just working on 'one section' today and a 'different section' tomorrow. As I've said previously, I wanted this new version of the site to be a lot more 'user friendly' - where content could be located quicker and easier. That was part of the reasoning behind the A-Z and the right-hand column which details / summarises all of the key pieces of news (Forthcoming Releases, Recent Releases and Forthcoming Events). These changes have also made working on the site far easier as well. Unfortunately, everything that's available can't simply be put straight on-line in one go - content (irrespective of its format - text or imagery) all has to be created and then adjusted for the 'www', and all of that inevitably takes time. Amazingly, there is far more 'content' on this version of the website.

Please contact me directly (robinharris@metamatic.com) if you want to help with the site. The more people who are able to provide content, the faster the site will grow.

Rob

Administrator
Administrator

Yep. That thing called 'real life' is a bugger isn't it! keeps getting in the way of all the fun and interesting things

I've seen it referred to as IRL in those fancy social network sites too = In Real Life

Well, ROFLMAO!!!

It also doesn't help that John is such a busy and productive artist!! All these new releases and live appearances need most of the attention, distracting what time there is away from putting all the material we do have on line.

And then there's the enigmatic, out of focus and impossible to classify element that has characterised most of his work.
You think you have a system -

'right, that's one of THOSE, and so is that, so we can have a page for these...'

'But what about this one?'

'Doesn't quite fit. Rethink the logic.'

And talking of social networks, the metamatic Twitter feed has been 'compromised' so the account is suspended!
More bl**dy faff.

Thank you both for the replies, appreciate it.
I do understand that you guys are pretty busy behind the scenes but it just seems odd to me that a website like quietcity has more content than the official website. I'm not expecting loads of material to be added at once, just an update now and then would be nice (discography, The Service fanzine etc). But don't worry, I'll be patient wink
Thanks

Last edited by Nisei; 07/18/12 07:01 PM.
The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Originally Posted By: Rob Harris
I can assure you that the reverse is true and that a huge amount of work has been done on it since the beginning of the year - in fact we're just in the midst of finalising / proofing a new area ahead of it being made live.

Originally Posted By: Nisei
Thank you both for the replies, appreciate it.
I do understand that you guys are pretty busy behind the scenes but it just seems odd to me that a website like quietcity has more content than the official website. I'm not expecting loads of material to be added at once, just an update now and then would be nice (discography, The Service fanzine etc). But don't worry, I'll be patient wink

The new 'area' I mentioned in my previous post (12th of July, 2012) has now 'gone-live'. The work done on the Merchandise section will help me to get the Discography section up and running. Take a look at the page created for the CD version of the D.N.A. album to get an idea of much detail (as a minimum) is scheduled to be included for every release.

As for The Service - both issues were included on the 'old-style' website. Unfortunately, not everything was able to come across when this 'new-look' website was created. I felt that other things were more 'pressing' - specifically the A-Z, the key News Stories (in the right-hand column) and the Breadcrumb - and so some other items (both issues of The Service being the perfect example) had take a bit of a back seat. Both issues have been scanned and all of the text has been transcribed, and so I shall try to get them both back into the Archive as soon as possible.

Rob

Thanks for the updates Rob!

The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
A few months have passed since I last posted here to let you all know how work on the site is progressing.

Since then an incredible amount of material has been created which will support the Discography and Archive sections. All of that material has to be sorted (and tested) before the top level pages can 'go-live'. Once that work has been completed, then it should be far easier for the site to be updated on a more regular basis. That's the plan anyhow... grin

As before I would ask that you contact me directly (robinharris@metamatic.com) if you want to help with the site. The more people who are able to provide content (whether that's reviews, images, photographs, information and / or links) the faster the site will grow.

Rob

The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Unfortunately, I'm not able to add much more to what I wrote back in November of last year.

The work on the Discography and Archive sections is still continuing. In an ideal world I'd really like to be able to present the 'finished and final' website, but for a number of reasons (the main one being the amount of time available) that isn't going to be possible. However, I'm hoping that I'll nevertheless be in a position to upload the new 'top level' pages into both of those sections before too much longer. A few other 'surprises' are also in the pipeline - and it's hoped that they will also be completed very soon.

Rob

R
R
G'day Rob/Martin.

I'm not seeing any users' avatars despite having that option selected within my 'Edit Preferences'. I'm also getting vertical and horizontal scroll bars on many of the posts.

Would these be issues with the current forum set-up or perhaps an issue with incompatability with the version of Internet Explorer I'm using (Internet Explorer 8)?

Cheers, lads ...

The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Originally Posted By: Rodney
G'day Rob/Martin.

I'm not seeing any users' avatars despite having that option selected within my 'Edit Preferences'. I'm also getting vertical and horizontal scroll bars on many of the posts.

Would these be issues with the current forum set-up or perhaps an issue with incompatability with the version of Internet Explorer I'm using (Internet Explorer 8)?

G'day Rodney,

I think I've resolved the issue with the vertical and horizontal scroll bars - please check and let me know.

However, the avatars may take a little longer to sort - please bear with me. This started to be a problem when the ISP moved the entire site (including The Forum) onto a new server a few months back. I think the solution will have to be for me to manually apply avatars to everyones account individually - not ideal, but I can't see simpler one at the moment.

Rob

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.