Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
November sees the release of two new Harold Budd collections.

Wind In Lonely Fences 1970 - 2011 is a career-spanning double compact disc compilation of Harold Budd's trademark 'existential prettiness', incorporating early experimental synth works, classic album tracks, and collaborations with other musicians including jazz saxophonist Marion Brown, Brian Eno, Cocteau Twins, Andy Partridge and John Foxx. The full track-listing is as follows...

Disc One
01. The Oak Of The Golden Dreams (1970
02. Bismillahi ˜Rrahman ˜Rrahim (1978) with Marion Brown & Gavin Bryars
03. Wind In Lonely Fences (1980) with Brian Eno
04. Wanderer (1981)
05. Dark Star (1984)
06. The Pearl (1984) with Brian Eno & Daniel Lanois

Disc Two
01. Ooze Out And Away, Onehow (1986) with Cocteau Twins
02. Ice Floes In Eden (1986)
03. Algebra Of Darkness (1988)
04. A Child In A Sylvan Field (1991)
05. The Messenger (1992) with Ruben Garcia & Daniel Lentz
06. Hand 20 (1994) with Andy Partridge
07. She's By The Window (1994) with Zeitgeist
08. Nove Alberi (1996)
09. Adult (2003) with John Foxx
10. Arabesque 2 (2004)
11. How Distant Your Heart (2007) with Robin Guthrie
12. Mars And The Artist (2011)

Release Date : 25th of November, 2013
Catalogue Number : WAST035CD
Pre-order your copy of Wind In Lonely Fences 1970 - 2011 online at Amazon

Buddbox is an anthology set containing seven rare and critically acclaimed albums released on labels such as Cantil, Opal and All Saints. It also includes a forty page booklet compiling interviews and essays about Harold's work from writers such as David Toop, Mark Prendergast and Mike Barnes. The seven albums contained within it are as follows…

Disc 01 : The Serpent (In Quicksilver) (1981)
Disc 02 : Abandoned Cities (1984)
Disc 03 : The White Arcades (1987)
Disc 04 : By The Dawn's Early Light (1991)
Disc 05 : Music For 3 Pianos (with Ruben Garcia & Daniel Lentz) (1992)
Disc 06 : Through The Hill (with Andy Partridge) (1994)
Disc 07 : Luxa (1996)

Release Date : 25th of November, 2013
Catalogue Number : WASTBOX1
Pre-order your copy of Buddbox online at Amazon

Rob

The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
In addition to the two collections listed above (Wind In Lonely Fences 1970-2011 and Buddbox), three of Harold's albums are also scheduled to find their way onto vinyl at the end of next month... namely Through The Hill, Abandoned Cities and The Serpent (In Quicksilver). These three albums also come with download codes.

Perhaps, the album which Harold released back in 2007 only as a download, is also now available on Compact Disc and Vinyl.

Rob

Thanks for the heads up Rob. I already have quite a few of Harold's albums but not all in the box set.Very tempting I must say.

The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Originally Posted By: Your Shadow
Thanks for the heads up Rob. I already have quite a few of Harold's albums but not all in the box set. Very tempting I must say.

Yeah, I had no idea that such a collection was even being considered - and while it's only the material which was previously available through All Saint's, it's still a very good introduction to Harold's work. Personally, I think that both The White Arcades and Luxa are more than worth the price alone.

It wouldn't surprise me if the other four albums from that box set (The White Arcades, Music For 3 Pianos, By The Dawn's Early Light and Luxa) also get released on vinyl in the not too distant future. And I will definitely be straight in there for a vinyl version of Luxa... cool

Rob

T
T
Great stuff, thanks for posting!

Good to see that The Serpent and Abandoned Cities are getting their own discs this time, although I very much associate them together from the original CD release and rarely play one without the other.

The compilation should be a good entry point for newcomers - is it his first compilation? I think it is. Looking forward to reading the essay bits.

The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Originally Posted By: the church puddle
Great stuff, thanks for posting!

Good to see that The Serpent and Abandoned Cities are getting their own discs this time, although I very much associate them together from the original CD release and rarely play one without the other.

The compilation should be a good entry point for newcomers - is it his first compilation? I think it is. Looking forward to reading the essay bits.

There was a promotional compilation CD, entitled Fenceless Night - Selections For Cinema 1980-1998, released back in 1998. It's quite hard to find these days - but I think it's beautifully packaged, and so well worth keeping an eye out on eBay for. The track-listing is as follows...

01. First Light (Edit)
02. Boy About 10
03. She Dances By The Light Of The Silvery Moon
04. Pandas In Tandem
05. Sea, Swallow Me
06. Why Do You Love Me?
07. Algebra Of Darkness
08. Balthus Bemused By Color
09. Niki D.
10. A Sidelong Glance From My Round Nefertiti
11. Through The Hill
12. Bearded Aphrodite
13. The Gunfighter
14. Afar
15. The Room Of Secondary Light
16. Their Memories
17. The Aperture (Edit)
18. Wings

Rob

P
P
Don't dawdle on purchasing the CD of "Perhaps" as only 500 were pressed! Fortunately, I bought it on sight without even knowing up front that it was probably the only copy in my part of the state. "Buddbox" looks like amazing value. I only have "The White Arcades" from that All-Saints run, so it's in my sights. Agreement with Rob on the value of the box being justified by "White Arcades" alone. I've never heard "Luxa" so I can't comment there.

T
T
There is a three page feature/interview with Harold in the latest edition of Record Collector (422 - Christmas 2013, with Queen on the cover).

The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Released today, (Jane 12 - 21) is the latest album by Harold Budd - the companion piece to 2013's Jane 1 - 11.
Minimal, modern classical piano and avant-garde electronics. The full track listing is as follows…

01. Jane 12
02. Jane 13
03. Jane 14
04. Jane 15
05. Jane 16 (For Pale Saints)
06. Jane 17
07. Jane 18
08. Jane 19
09. Jane 20
10. Jane 21

Release Date : 8th of September, 2014
Catalogue Number : DRL 289
Order your copy of Jane 12 - 21 online at Amazon.

Rob

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.