Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#46116 05/20/13 04:03 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Longtime Foxx fan from early '81 onward. I'd tried to register several times of the the last few years, but this time it finally worked. It does seem like avatars and signatures are broken, though. Anyway. I want to be here since Foxx is peaking now in his ripe old age. I love everything he's done with the exception of the second Nation 12 single. Everyone has to have at least one Achilles heel, I suppose.

I come to Foxx via Ultravox MKII. I saw the "Passing Strangers" vid in 1980 and bought "Vienna." I didn't waste any time on moving to "Ultravox!" and "Metamatic" next before buying the full canon as it was in those days. By 1985 I realized that I liked Foxx better than Ultravox. Midge Ure's solo career had a lot to do with this revelation. Then Foxx wisely stepped off the platform while everyone else I liked in music was involved with more mid-80s car wrecks than even Ballard would know what to do with.

When Foxx returned in '97 it was more astounding to me than Bowie's return this year [though less covered in the media]. Foxx has been on fire since then and quite frankly, his latest projects with The Maths are my favorites of his long catalogue. Against all odds, he is getting better with age and actually staking out new territories while the rest of the contenders are falling by the wayside, or at best, keeping their heads above water.

I am dismayed that I have never had the chance to see Foxx since I live in America and he hasn't gigged here since 1979, a full year before I became aware of him, end even so, I lived in Florida, the forgotten state for pretty much any musicians I liked [but not Ted Nugent]. I've told the new Moogfest promoters [Paxahau] that they should book Foxx + The Maths, but I'm only one person. I did see Tara Busch at Moogfest just hours after she ended her tour opening up for The Maths in 2011. That's as close as I have come to a Foxx gig, but even Tara was agreeing that Foxx and Moogfest was a perfect match. I've mooted a Kickstarter campaign to Benge for a US tour. There has to be massive pent up demand by the Foxx fans like me, who can't afford to fly overseas for a gig in this Great Recession. But seeing Foxx live is paramount as we're not getting younger and quite frankly he is better now than ever.

Administrator
Administrator

Hi - and welcome to the forum!

Nice back story - and I agree with you about a US tour laugh

E
E
I also want to see Mr. Foxx do more US tours. I'm going to see Peter Murphy and Gary Numan in Portland, btw.

P
OP Offline
P
Well, I saw Peter Murphy two years ago, and I can't imagine seeing him again, though he is funny now. Even my wife thought she was seeing competition for Eddie Izzard. Which is more than I can say for Numan! I saw him last in '98 at pretty much the last time I would have cared to have seen him. I hadn't heard anything post "Exile" [which I thought was pretty mediocre next to "Sacrifice"] until I bought "Machine Music" last year and saw that he has turned himself into a metal act now. Eh. I don't care for him at all now that he's Ozzfest material.

Hi postpunkmonk,

Welcome to the forum. smile

You found Foxx in similar way that I did.

Brian

Brian #46128 05/21/13 11:28 AM
Hi postpunkmonk and welcome.

I am a regular reader of your blog .... presuming you are the self-same postpunkmonk!

The Archive
The Archive
Originally Posted By: postpunkmonk
Longtime Foxx fan from early '81 onward.

Hi there postpunkmonk,

Welcome to The Forum... grin

Originally Posted By: postpunkmonk
It does seem like avatars and signatures are broken.

Yes, I noticed a problem with the avatars when the ISP moved the website onto a new server a few months back - it's on my (ever expanding) list of issues to resolve. I'm looking to adjust the 'look and feel' of The Forum so that it more closely resembles the rest of the website - so I'll see if I can sort the avatar problem at the same time. Finger's crossed.

As for signatures... that option has been disabled.

Rob

MemberD #46135 05/21/13 12:23 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Yes. I am the same Post-Punk Monk. I'm trying to round up my stray branding, so I'm REVO on the OMD forum [which predates my blog]. I try to be Post-Punk Monk everywhere for ease of use. Rob tells me that I registered [and posted] in 2008, but I can't recall that.

Last edited by postpunkmonk; 05/22/13 12:32 PM.

C
C
Hi Post-Punk Monk,

There seem to be more of us crawling out of the woodwork in the States. I've just re-registered myself and might even consider trading my Japanese "Burning Car" EP for a show in Chicago grin ...or as you suggest, Moogfest.

One of my friends has been following OMD on tour and not only had the good fortune to see Foxx + the Maths multiple times, but bumped into them at a roadside stop! Now, how do we make that Kickstarter campaign happen?

Cathy

cdave2 #46162 05/23/13 03:39 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Is your friend Rockgirl416? I could never see that many OMD concerts!

C
C
Yes, small world! I wish I had both her money for travel (although she works incredibly hard and budgets carefully for it) and her energy. Not sure if even a string of Foxx/Underworld/Sylvian/Talk Talk/Scott Walker dates could provide the stamina!

cdave2 #46167 05/23/13 07:49 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I wish I'd thought to meet Lori at the Atlanta gig, but it was hectic with VIP tix and all. I only thought of that after reading her series on Messages.

C
C
Lori's doing her last gig in Dublin tonight, but she did find the time to say that she knew you from the OMD forum! If you enjoyed her series on Messages, you might like to know she has her own blog at www.omdculture.com.

I sent her the link to your article on the rare "Maid of Orleans" cover. Very impressed with your blog - the Ultravox GPA reviews were especially entertaining! (Tenuous link to topic inserted.) smile

cdave2 #46307 06/08/13 01:21 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I just stumbled onto OMDculture recently, but haven't found time to dip into the bucket yet. So you were the person reading my 'Vox Rock G.P.A. recently then? I love that band though they vex me now. So you're an OMD/Vox/Sylvian fan in Chicago... do you happen to know James Teitelbaum? He's an old acquaintance of mine.

C
C
Yep, that was probably me (I'll never get used to being tracked on the Web)! Unfortunately I don't know your friend James. I Googled him and he's got quite an impressive resume. Did he work the recent OMD and the 2002 Sylvian shows at the Park West, I wonder?

I have to admit that I'm a casual OMD fan; I respect them greatly, but as a former disco kid I'll always gravitate toward those acts with a bit more emphasis on rhythm (I always maintained that Chic, Mondrian, and Mies van der Rohe were bedfellows in their sleek minimalism). Japan had one of the best rhythm sections ever in Mick Karn (RIP) and Steve Jansen. I was exposed to Foxx's work belatedly but came in shortly after Shifting City...and once I'd heard Metamatic I was hooked for good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.