Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Quote:
Originally posted by Newvox
Even more sad, if 'Europe After The Rain' was re-released now, as vinyl or download, what would be the chance of it even getting to number 40 this time
How many sales does it take to get to number 40 in the UK charts these days? I'm guessing somewhere between 2 and 3,000. On that basis I would say it would have no chance. I would be surprised if it could make that total over the lifetime of a re-release, let alone in one week. Even the mighty Depeche Mode are struggling these days - 'Peace' was only in the top 100 for one week and never made the top forty! (probably no air-play mind, which would be the same problem 'Europe After The Rain' would encounter)

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeG:
I would be surprised if it could make that total over the lifetime of a re-release, let alone in one week.

Even the mighty Depeche Mode are struggling these days - 'Peace' was only in the top 100 for one week and never made the top forty!
Yes those points sum it up pretty much. frown

And over here I just shake my head at which songs make it on the charts. frown

The best source for music was and still is college radio stations.

H
OP Offline
H
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Newvox
[b]Even more sad, if 'Europe After The Rain' was re-released now, as vinyl or download, what would be the chance of it even getting to number 40 this time
How many sales does it take to get to number 40 in the UK charts these days? I'm guessing somewhere between 2 and 3,000. On that basis I would say it would have no chance. I would be surprised if it could make that total over the lifetime of a re-release, let alone in one week. Even the mighty Depeche Mode are struggling these days - 'Peace' was only in the top 100 for one week and never made the top forty! (probably no air-play mind, which would be the same problem 'Europe After The Rain' would encounter) [/b]
I have no idea what happens with charts these days, and suspect that now downloads are counted, they are largely meaningless.

But back in the 1980s they seemed really important, not just because of that rivalry you had with your schoolfriends and "my favourite band is bigger than your favourite band" arguments. A high chart placing brought with it more exposure in the form of TV and radio appearances and the artist's records were more widely available.

I'm not even sure what constitutes a "single" these days. To take the Depeche Mode example, surely "Peace" has been available for months to download as part of the "Sounds Of The Universe" album. If there's no physical product, how does it become a single exactly and not just an album track?

H
H
Thinking back to the early 80s, the music industry is so different. As you say, chart position was important because it meant TV exposure. I remember that you would consider yourself really lucky if you saw a John Foxx video more than twice. Ever. There weren't videos on the net, or wall-to-wall music channels. If you missed 'Top of the Pops' there weren't seventeen other chances to watch it on BBCs 2 through 4, or any iPlayer to watch again. There was a genuine feeling of excitement when a video you wanted to watch popped up on TV.

At the risk of sounding like an old fart, it's almost too easy these days.

Quote:
Originally posted by Halloway:
Thinking back to the early 80s, the music industry is so different. ....I remember that you would consider yourself really lucky if you saw a John Foxx video more than twice. Ever. ... video you wanted to watch popped up on TV.
Video?!?!? what was that? TOTP appearance was THE thing to do / watch / see . .maybe a Saturday morning children's program, or even OGWT but that was it!
Old f*rts of the world unite!

[/QUOTE]How many sales does it take to get to number 40 in the UK charts these days? I'm guessing somewhere between 2 and 3,000.

I read the other day that the No:3 single in the charts, (whatever that may have been, like most of us 'old farts' I don't take any interest in them these days...) sold just 450 physical copies (7in or cd), the rest were downloads. I guess the days' of the single are well and truly numbered. (No pun intended!)

Going a bit off topic (okay a lot) ....

A new way of listening to music is via a website to which you pay a monthly fee and then you can listen to anything on the site. If enough people start 'buying' their music in this manner then I'm sure it will be taken into account when it comes to charty time. Not sure what weighting it would be given though - probably not as much as actually downloading or buying a CD.

Via Facebook and Twitter, Saint Etienne's Bob Stanley has made Europe After The Rain his 'Song of the Week'

H
OP Offline
H
Nice to see one of my old threads making a reappearance.

Since starting this thread two years ago, "Europe After The Rain" seems to have finally got recognition by way of featuring on one of the Ministry Of Sound's 1980s compilations and as such has probably been heard by more people over the past year than when it was first released!

http://www.tescoentertainment.com/store/mp3/various-artists-ministry-of-sound-anthems-electronic-80s-2/2%3A47509891/

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.