Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Brian Offline OP
OP Offline

F
F
love it, the drums kick ass!

P
P
I like "English Electric" in terms of OMD's songwriting. Almost all of it works strongly for me. It is a marked improvement from the last album, 'History of Modern," which was 10 good songs and what sounded like three leftovers from Andy's "teen svengali" period. But the arrangements and production on EE sound like soft synths recorded on a laptop. Then it was mastered with brickwalling. Net result? What could have been a great album was kneecapped. When I found out that JF+TM were opening for OMD I had hoped that perhaps OMD fan Benge could have a word with Andy & Paul in regards to perhaps producing their next album, which sorely needs his guidance. Little did I know that he would get involved immediately with this remix, which delivers profoundly in the areas where OMD don't see fit to bother with; namely the sound of their recordings. The remix of "Dresden" sounds immense to my ears. A high point of 2013 for me so far.

Single of year as far as I'm concerned and certainly one of OMD's best for ages .. classic combination of chunky bass and synth riff à la Enola Gay / Radio Waves and others..

JF&TM mix took me a bit by surprise at first but it grows. As an almost 'perfect single' it's hard to improve on the original but this mix picks it out, shakes it up and turns it around..and turns it into something new.

PS disagree about EE production overall PostPunkM..

Last edited by MemberD; 05/21/13 11:54 AM.
P
P
Well, EE sounds a little monotonous to me in terms of production of the songs. The Interludes add sonic interest to the album, but they are even more clinical sounding than the "songs." I still pine for the early sound of "Organisation," I guess. It's a lot warmer and more complex than what they prefer today.

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.