Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
MikeG #44809 09/28/12 12:19 PM
I'm reminded of the Impossible album - that took me ages to get into, but when I did get into it, it all just clicked into place.

The atmospheres between Maths albums have got darker and longer, which is quite a jolt at first. And most of what happens on Evidence is, well - nothing. It's the silence - the big spaces inbetween all the dub and the dark.

RadioBeach #44813 09/28/12 01:26 PM
What, the gaps between tracks?! laugh

Alex S #44816 09/29/12 09:54 PM
I'm going to skip this one. I wasn't thrilled with Shapes and based on the reactions here, I probably won't like this one either.

I think there were some advantages to the old days when John was on Virgin. He was only allowed to release 45 minutes of music per year (the running time of an LP) and it had to be something the record company was going to promote. Now he can release as much music as he wants in any style. It should be a good thing but it's easy to do some half-baked experimental thing and put it out.

I would really like John and Benge to re-record the best Foxx/Gordon tracks on Benge's gorgeous sounding analog synths. I think there are some fantastic Foxx/Gordon tracks that were brought down by poor production. John would probably not consider doing this since he can just easily record new material.

To expand on this further, I think Foxx/Gordon was a good songwriting partnership but their production and arrangements were poor. John/Benge has better production but are perhaps less interested in songwriting.

Last edited by MikeF; 09/29/12 09:57 PM.
MikeF #44817 09/30/12 11:21 AM
I really liked The Shape of Things, but it did have a rather 'rushed' or 'unfinished' feel to it in parts, especially during the second half of the album. There's the same kind of feel on Evidence - I like the instrumentals (especially Cloud Choreography and Myriads), but some of them do sound like early starting points for fuller, proper songs.

The Maths is the longest 'band' John has been in since Ultravox I think... and he's never been one to hang around, so I'm really eager to see (hear?) what he does next. It feels like it's time for something a little different.

Interplay and Shapes were nice contrasts to each other, whereas Evidence is more like a continuation.

I still miss John's work with Louis, although I agree that production sometimes let the songs down a little. But that Foxx/Gordon partnership was clearly pivotal in John's return to music and I still rank some of those albums alongside Metamatic.

John clearly prefers working with other folk these days - maybe it best suits his creativity. But I'd still love to see a new album of lyrical electronic songs, bearing only John's name on the front.

Alex S #44824 10/02/12 11:24 AM
I have to agree with Alex on this one, 'Evidence' leaves me a little cold. My immediate reaction upon hearing it was 'does anyone still have Louis's phone number as John needs him back'.

I will totally respect anyone who likes Evidence but for me it's a non-starter and I'm afraid as Alex states it has that compilation feel to it.

Back on the subject of Louis again, I like a few others I have spoken to am disappointed that in the live arena, John is now ignoring the 12 year (is that about right?) catalogue of work he created with Louis. Again, just my thoughts.

sam.vox #44825 10/02/12 02:34 PM
That was my feeling after the gig last year. Although it was an amazing gig and I loved every minute of it, it was a shame not to hear live tracks from SHifting City, TPOE, etc.

But on the other hand, I guess they're Louis' songs as much as John's and it could be he doesn't want to perform them without him. Which is fair enough.

MikeG #44827 10/02/12 06:08 PM
G
G
I liked 'Evidence' a lot. My only complaint is that instrumental tracks are too short. Can't get 'Cloud Choreography' out of my head. I wish this track was at least 4 times longer. I hope their partnership continues as Benge, hands down, has become my favorite collaborator of John. Can't remember the last time I listened to any of the Foxx/Gordon albums, yes, there are some good songs on them, but the production doesn't stand up to Benge's.

Last edited by Gadget; 10/02/12 06:09 PM.
Gadget #44828 10/02/12 10:11 PM
I think a purely instrumental album from The Maths would be interesting. Opportunity for longer, flowing pieces.

Alex S #44829 10/03/12 12:15 AM
One thing the Maths have demonstrated -- for me, at least -- is that it sounds great to have female vocals in the mix. And I think I'd like a full album of Foxx/Gazelle Twin.

sam.vox #44831 10/03/12 09:42 AM
Originally Posted By: sam.vox
I have to agree with Alex on this one, 'Evidence' leaves me a little cold. My immediate reaction upon hearing it was 'does anyone still have Louis's phone number as John needs him back'.

I will totally respect anyone who likes Evidence but for me it's a non-starter and I'm afraid as Alex states it has that compilation feel to it.

I thought the same after a couple of listenings to Evidence.
I like the title track a lot but all the other stuff isn't as good as Interplay or the Shape of Things. The tracks are not bad but they are no "highlights" for me. As Alex said it sounds like a continuation. It is very rare I heard a good remix about John's stuff. Talk is one of my favourites of the Maths stuff but I cannot get into these Dear/Bush versions.
Gazelle Twin isn't my cup of tea. I saw them in London at the Xoyo as support to John and was glad they had finished. Same was for Tara Bush. ( Sorry to say that).
I know there are some people here who like these new collaboration things but I prefer a real Maths album.

And I would love to see John and Louis on stage again. What not means I don't like to see the Maths on stage.
But it would be nice to see John and Louis going trough their own stuff on one special show!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.