Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
It should have really been a massive hit, it sounded fresh at the time of release and even to this day is a pleasure to listen to.

30th anniversary coming up this year of course..
smile

New video upload from TOTP .. quality still a bit poor, but there's the Peter Powell intro..

http://youtu.be/mtRwlXZl3c4

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: MemberD

New video upload from TOTP .. quality still a bit poor, but there's the Peter Powell intro..

http://youtu.be/mtRwlXZl3c4

Only just noticed that the TOTP appearance features a second synth player. I know that Eddie and Sunshine were on synth and piano respectively, but who's the other guy playing synth to John's right?

Meanwhile, from the sublime to the (faintly) ridiculous, have you ever wanted to hear a cover of Europe After The Rain by an ageing Spanish new wave band?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAYNBLyeh0w

Last edited by Herbert the turbot; 06/01/12 10:30 AM.
Originally Posted By: Herbert the turbot

Only just noticed that the TOTP appearance features a second synth player. I know that Eddie and Sunshine were on synth and piano respectively, but who's the other guy playing synth to John's right?

Meanwhile, from the sublime to the (faintly) ridiculous, have you ever wanted to hear a cover of Europe After The Rain by an ageing Spanish new wave band?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAYNBLyeh0w

I really like it! it sounds like early Cure..well the instruments do..not sure about the voice.

Don't know about the guy on TOTP..playing bass synth.

Administrator
Administrator

It's Duncan Bridgeman I think, the 'other half' of Shake Shake (co-writers of A Long Time)

He played guitar and some synths on both The Garden and The Golden Section

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Thanks for pointing me back to this thread Herbert, which I'd forgotten about.

I'd also forgotten about the Eddy & Sunshine connection. I made the wikipedia page for EATR last week and will duly add this info.

Interesting to see from E&S's own wiki page ( linky ) how they were linked to Ultravox/Urevox, even playing as support band during their RIE tour .. presumably around the same time as going on TOTP with JF?
ooh, the irony!

TOTP performance was indeed 3rd September 1981 ... also starring OMD, The Teardrop Explodes, Modern Roamnce, Bucks Fizz among others..
Foxxy "dancing like Andy McCluskey" ?? ( linkage )

F
F
I think, to be honest, Europe After The Rain does not have a very good vocal from John. The melody is a little awkward, and John is attempting to do a big kinda Frank-Sinatra-esque croony ballad-style vocal, but he's borderline off-pitch, and has either attempted to disguise this and/or exacerbated it in the mix by bunging a load of reverb and echo on his voice. This makes it a bit unfocussed and it doesn't come across and stridently and confidently as it needs to if it's to convince the pop-buying public that this is a Hit Single.

I mean don't get me wrong, it's a lovely song, the production is very pleasant and dreamy and I dig the reference to Max Ernst, but if you're gonna try and storm the charts with a ballad, you need to be able to cut it, vocal performance-wise, not just have good ideas and tasteful production.

Originally Posted By: feline1
I think, to be honest, Europe After The Rain does not have a very good vocal from John. The melody is a little awkward, and John is attempting to do a big kinda Frank-Sinatra-esque croony ballad-style vocal, but he's borderline off-pitch, and has either attempted to disguise this and/or exacerbated it in the mix by bunging a load of reverb and echo on his voice. This makes it a bit unfocussed and it doesn't come across and stridently and confidently as it needs to if it's to convince the pop-buying public that this is a Hit Single.

I mean don't get me wrong, it's a lovely song, the production is very pleasant and dreamy and I dig the reference to Max Ernst, but if you're gonna try and storm the charts with a ballad, you need to be able to cut it, vocal performance-wise, not just have good ideas and tasteful production.

Some valid points but compare with OMD's "Souvenir", from the same period and ironically on the same TOTP ...
That got to No. 3

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.