Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Birdsong #40542 06/30/11 07:03 PM
T
T
Looking forward to hearing this. At the moment it is enough to look at it - stunning photography.

Birdsong #40548 07/01/11 09:23 AM
Torn Sunset arrived yesterday.

Lovely booklet & imagery.

It's a curious listen; would fit perfectly alongside Translucence & Drift Music. John's piano is pretty much a continuation of what we heard on Translucence, the obvious difference being Theo Travis' atmospheric flute playing, often tinted with eastern colours and overall quite filmic.

Yet at the same time it's very ambient and abstract; minimal. Maybe overly so. After Lost Marilyn Molecule, it all blends into one, with no particular piece or melody to remember clearly – however with that in mind, the album almost works like one continuous piece. But for my ears it generally lacks the subtle variations needed to keep it interesting or offer anything significantly.

Given the overall similarity, it's hard to single out tracks, but I'd say the one that stood out the most for me was Skyscraper Starlight; it kind of picks up where Handheld Skies left off...

It's a pleasant album; the kind of thing to drift away in the background, whilst reading, working late at night or enjoying a glass of wine with a summer sunset. That is, assuming there's ever any proper summer to enjoy it with.

If anything, it takes that Translucence style into slightly warmer territory, but for me I'd leave it there.

Now, where's that Arp Odyssey….

Last edited by Alex S; 07/01/11 09:31 AM.
Birdsong #40549 07/01/11 10:31 AM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
I noted the same stand out track too.
Glad you like it.

Mx

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Birdsong #40557 07/02/11 04:42 PM
Nighthawks and Torn Sunset finally arrived yesterday. It was a beautiful evening last night - a long drawn out sunset as I wandered down to Hoxton/Brick Lane to meet some friends. Both albums worked so well whilst on the journeys to and from home, Torn Sunset on the way there, Nighthawks on the way back.

Listening to them side by side, I was reminded of the Fennesz and Sakamoto album Cendre, one of my favourite albums of 2007 - especially Torn Sunset. And like Cendre, I think these albums will quietly work their way into my life for a long time to come.

Torn Sunset can't be listened to via a few samples. Get it - chill out and read a book to it, get out of the house and have a wander around to it - it'll slowly wrap itself around you soon enough.

Birdsong #40577 07/04/11 08:15 AM
I've listened to both Torn Sunset and Nighthawks. With the long drawn outs evenings these have been excellent soundtracks. Both beautiful. Even my girlfriend likes Torn Sunset and she's not a big fan of instrumental music!! I will have to play her Nighthawks next and see if she like that too.

Birdsong #40617 07/08/11 08:52 AM
F
F
it is all a bit "new age" (I blame the flute sounds) but it is all very nice and has a harmonic sophistication that puts it in a different league to the ones they play in garden centres wink
Anyways it was just what I needed to soothe my headache this morning

RadioBeach #40628 07/10/11 04:16 PM
Originally Posted By: RadioBeach

Listening to them side by side, I was reminded of the Fennesz and Sakamoto album Cendre, one of my favourite albums of 2007 - especially Torn Sunset. And like Cendre, I think these albums will quietly work their way into my life for a long time to come.

Thanks for mentioning Cendre. While I wait for my new Foxx CDs to show up in the mail (delayed by a Canada Post labour dispute), I'll be giving Cendre a few listens. I liked the samples on emusic and bought a download. (I've tried a Fennesz or two in the past without really connecting with it, but this sounds like a very different proposition.)

Birdsong #40636 07/12/11 09:04 AM
Keep trying with Torn Sunset, keep falling asleep.

Birdsong #40642 07/12/11 07:06 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
There are reviews of both this album and Nighthawks in the current issue of the Wire magazine (Issue 330)
Thanks to Garry for the information.

If anyone else comes across reviews in the media or online, please share the links so we can keep a record for the archive.

In the meantime, From A Brighter Place is the current soundtrack at Antonino Cardillo's website

Last edited by Birdsong; 07/12/11 07:08 PM.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Birdsong #40659 07/15/11 10:23 AM
It's not for me.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.