Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Chris C Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks Rob for keeping us up to date with John's releases. We are totally spoilt. We all have to admire John's vigour and enthusiasm for art.

My petition here is for all versions of Cities of Light to be included here.

John Foxx' music truly deserves the double disc treatment.

Thanks to all involved!
Chris wink

If i remember rightly from about eight months ago, the 'Cities Of Light' track was a re-mix or re-work that was to be in place of the original in this remastered album. Personally, i think John's (and Louis) albums are all classics in their own right, and should not be changed other than remastered and extra tracks as bonus. Even if that includes new versions recorded especially for a re-issue, but still only used as bonus tracks, not in place of. The only exception to this imo would be 'In Mysterious Ways' where the album did flow better when the new tracklist was applied. I agree with Chris that all versions of 'Cities Of Light' need to be included, but i hope their in the right track order too. One things for sure, there will not be any need for download only tracks, as with Ultravox - 'Lament' My only thought for now, is that all tracks on the physical discs, are in the best order possible. Hopefully to avoid the problems like at EV in recent weeks.

Great news about these two albums and the one with Paul Daley too! smile

Seems it will be a nice autumn this year... laugh

Administrator
Administrator
Let's hope the re-release of Sideways doesn't include those two extended versions either

Totally out of place IMHO, and they seem rather crudely stuck on the end.

And of course, that makes a case for a double-disc edition of From Trash in 2012... :p

But seriously, what a bumper harvest we are enjoying this year.
Thanks to everyone for everything laugh

Who among us in 1985 could ever have imagined we'd be here now.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
If I remember rightly from about eight months ago, the 'Cities Of Light' track was a re-mix or re-work.
You're right Ken.
Uploaded to myspace/foxxmetamatic in September 2008.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
Let's hope the re-release of Sideways doesn't include those two extended versions either. Totally out of place IMHO, and they seem rather crudely stuck on the end.
Yes agreed, this is a case of 'less is more'.

Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
Quote:
[b] If I remember rightly from about eight months ago, the 'Cities Of Light' track was a re-mix or re-work.
You're right Ken.
Uploaded to myspace/foxxmetamatic in September 2008. [/b]
At EV someone asked recently in the thread about the 'Lament' remaster, if there was still time to change the tracklist and / or was it set in stone.
Well there must be time to leave the original tracklist for 'TPOE' album and just remaster it, then add bonus tracks, like re-mixes etc. Although as i said at the time, ultimately its John's material to re-purpose it. Personally, i like albums to be as they were.

R
R
Quote:
... just remaster it, then add bonus tracks, like re-mixes etc. Although as i said at the time, ultimately its John's material to re-purpose it. Personally, i like albums to be as they were.
For what it's worth, purely as an opinion, I agree. From my perspective, as a fan going right back to the original releases (as most of us are, I presume), I would prefer a remastered reissue of the original album tracks in their original order, since that is the way we got to know the material originally. I find it difficult to appreciate an album reconfigured with different tracklistings, even if the artist prefers it that way because that was the way it was originally supposed to be (including track titles and artwork). I appreciate this is somewhat a selfish point of view, but since we are the ones that this impacts on (the fans who do go back to the 'beginning', as opposed to the new customers who know no better), I would prefer things left original with as much unreleased material as the artist is prepared to release as 'bonus material' (which is hugely appreciated, of course) on the CD or as a separate CD all together.

I'm going to struggle somewhat with Thomas Dolby's forthcoming The Golden Age Of Wireless CD though, because it is in the original format and I got to know it with one of the later versions ... talk about contradicting yourself! wink

Cheers ...

As my favourite Foxx album, it would frustrate me to see TPOE changed on the one hand, but on the other, I'd be interested to hear the differences!

I'm wondering if "appropriate extra tracks" means other material from the period rather than unreleased session tracks. Not that I can think of anything though...

Anyway for two of John's most important albums, it will be great to see them repackaged with bonus discs.

Administrator
Administrator
Forgive me if I missed something - but there's never been any indication that TPOE tracklisting would be changed or re-ordered or anything.

Where's that notion come from?

Not sure... probably dates back to the new mix of Cities of Light on Glimmer - where it was mentioned (somewhere) that more tracks on the album would be subject to the same treatment.

But yeah.. I don't remember anything about having the tracks re-ordered.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.