Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

M
M
I stopped reading after this bit.

So what exactly happens then when the Ultravox from 1976-1979's vocalist John Foxx decides to rejuvenate a career that many of us didn't even know existed?

Ignorant fecker. DO YOUR RESEARCH!! mad

Administrator
Administrator
Sadly I reckon he's right though, don't you think?

(NOT about the quality of the track, of course!)

How many people 'out there' have actually heard of John Foxx?
Let's not forget this IS the first 'mainstream' single release for 25 years

Weird that I should read this post ten minutes after watching Doctor Who.

I have always felt that reality is different for everyone according to their own experience of it...

What this review proves really well though is that John Foxx is back on the public radar.

Hat's off to Steve et al for that.

So people now realise he's still alive, and look into what he's been up to for 25 years?

And so they buy stuff, and all is well.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Yes, he is right, in that sense. The truth hurts!

But seriously, that aspect of the review I have to admit, agreed with. John isn't a musical household name. However thanks to the internet and his management's constant plugging, he clearly is better known now than a decade ago; and I think it's about the right place for him. A John Foxx single isn't likely to top the charts in this day and age. He remains a recognised underground artist and big influence; and the accolades he's got in recent years, I would say, stand for so much more than the fickle world of the charts.

As for the reviewer's slating of said song, it's clear that it comes down to taste. He clearly doesn't like John's voice.

Overall a poor and ill-researched review; obviously somebody unfamilliar with Foxx's work or recent activity. It's rather naive to assume that all analogue synth music is instantly a throwback to the 1980s.

And I quote Warren Cann: "Lazy journalism strikes again". :p

Administrator
Administrator
John Foxx & The Math(s)

Ok. Cool. John's recording (and performing) with a band.

Who are they, and how did he come to choose these musicians?
Serafina Steer, for example, is an accomplished harpist with her own album(s).

How come a) she's part of The Math(s) project and b) she played keyboards?

And are the others, as I imagine them to be, more than 'just' session musicians...?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
John Foxx & The Math(s)

Serafina Steer, for example, is an accomplished harpist with her own album(s).

How come a) she's part of The Math(s) project and b) she played keyboards?
I can answer a little bit of that...

I bought Serafina Steer''s 'Change is Good Change is Good' CD this week.

Some of the tracks are listed as co-produced and/or mixed by Benge, so there is an obvious connection there.

Serafina wrote all bar two of the songs on the CD and in addition to vocals and harp, she also plays synths throughout.

I'm enjoying the CD; it's very unusual stuff.

Administrator
Administrator

I really like it too laugh

Thanks for the information

Unusual compositions etc. Reminds of Virginia Astley in some ways,and comparisons with Nico are justifeid

Reviewed here:-

http://popstalinist.blogspot.com/2010/05/serafina-steer-change-is-good-change-is.html

Builds well, lots of warm textures and clever instrumentation, an out of kilter piano, vocals that drift in and out. Deadpan and slightly disjointed. The beautiful light of madness is definitely there cool

Really interesting stuff.
Apparently this is her second album.

I just downloaded the first single 'Peach Heart' from her myspace site, and that's just as good.
You can read an interview with the BBC from 2007 here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/collective/A25087601

M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
something is happening anyway .. .

http://myblogitsfullofstars.blogspot.com/2010/11/mixing-with-stars.html
So that's what 'Big Al' is doing now. Always wondered what the got up to between The Touring Principle, up to the present day. Great to see that he is still involved in music. wink

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.