Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#35933 10/23/09 12:55 PM
OP Offline
Louis has two shows coming up in Nottingham and Camden featuring Tenek and Lost Controllers:

Tickets for the Camden show are already on sale here:

http://www.wegottickets.com/event/62505

10th December 2009: Camden Rock, London NW1

£5.00 in advance, £6.00 on the door.

9th December 2009: The Bodega Social Club, 23 Pelham Street, Nottingham, NG1 2ED

£3.00 on the door.

Hope to see some of you there cool

#35934 10/23/09 07:53 PM
A Toffeetones Double Header! Great news Shaun! I shall definitely be in Nottingham but I won't be able to make London I'm afraid. My 19 year old daughter is currently playing 'Stateless' non-stop and she has also borrowed 'E.S.T' to catch-up on Louis as well! We'll be glowing in the dark in our tenek T-shirts! cool Looking forward to seeing you all there. smile

#35935 10/24/09 01:13 PM
OP Offline
Look forward to meeting you again John smile

#35936 11/10/09 07:40 PM
N
N
Got my ticket. Working 5th Dec so can't do Bath frown , but can do Camden cool

#35937 11/12/09 04:47 PM
Hope to turn up at Caaaaaahmdun and get in on the door. Looking forward to this! cool

Will there be CDs for sale does anyone know?

#35938 11/12/09 04:54 PM
OP Offline
Lisa will be manning the Toffeetones merch as per smile

Not sure what shape we'll all be in at Camden. I've hired a 16 seater, for Nottingham, (a bit more modern that the Bedford RL in the pic) and we're bringing Lou back with us the same night. Hopefully we'll get some sleep but I doubt it laugh

#35939 12/10/09 12:54 PM
I went to last nights show in Nottingham with my brother Kerry.

Yes I do have a sore head after our stopover in Nottingham.Nearly got into a fight but thats another story.

We had a great time.Great music great company.

I thoroughly recommend going to tonights show.

Louis is also doing a different set.

Rumour has that the Turkey song may be in it.

Anyway here is a link to a slideshow with a few our our pictures.

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm79/...nt=6e3193de.pbw

Nice to see Rob again (5 times this year now)

Also Louis,Shaun,Pete & Geoff from Tenek.

Thank you all for a fantastic night.

Brian & Kerry

#35940 12/10/09 07:50 PM
Thanks Brian for your report and sharing your photographs. I enjoyed reading it.

Peter smile

#35941 12/11/09 03:06 PM
One office Christmas party and six hours of G&Ts didn’t stand in the way of me making my way to Camden for Louis’ gig. Camden Rock used to be the entrance to Sainsbury’s car park – it’s a breeze block annexe with a cash bar and toilets with a swing door that can best be described as ‘wild west’. Can I just say that I ****ing love venues like this. O2IndigoInsertnamingrightsoflargecorporationhere venues can kiss my ****.

Lost Controllers were first up. Not my cup of tea I have to say – in the 21st Century I find it hard to digest that light-Depeche Mode synth-pop sound….but it really was just me because the audience really enjoyed it. As a testament to Lost Controllers – whilst I was at the bar, the girl serving was singing along to the second chorus of one song, despite having never heard it before they started playing it(they hadn’t sound-checked it). Lost Contollers were quite infectious, got the night off to a bang and finished to much applause and cheer.

The DJ played Numan – which got a massive cheer and the chant of Numan! Numan! went on throughout ‘We Are Glass’ (…or was it I Die: You Die?) and the Usual Suspects: Human League, Foxx & Gordon, Depeche bleedin’ Mode…

Tenek came on – again, that Depeche Mode synth-pop sound but a bit more to it. Very dance (early 90s dance) oriented and good stage presence – not surprising to know that this lot are off on a full-on European tour early next year including Moscow. As slightly plastered as I was, I can still remember(ish) some of the songs; No Fighting, Stateless (which vaguely reminded me of Empire State Human and Dancing. I think the DJ was vaguely reminded too because after the set and much applause for Tenek, he played Empire State Human.

I chatted to Louis for a bit – a garbled conversation about the Haçienda / when E’s were good / best rave we ever attended (so good – neither of us can remember the name of them, but that they had been in fields and were very illegal). By bizarre chance the DJ started playing French Kiss by Lil’ Louis - a ‘huge choon’ from days of E and getting blissfully lost in fields.

And then it’s Louis’ turn – ably assisted by Matty Toffee. Brian says the set will be very different from last night (Brian also forgot to mention that there were several people on this very Forum full-on po-going at Nottingham to Louis doing Concrete, Bulletproof, Invisible armed with nothing more than a microphone and a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale! But I shan’t divulge Brian or Rob’s names and their anonymity is assured….well – that’s what I heard anyway on very good authority…namely the bloke with a microphone and a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale!) laugh

So which Louis am I gonna get?

Do you remember that urban legend in the 70s?

The one about four cans of coca-cola and a packet of space dust?

I got that Louis. And it were ****in’ great!

He comes on to, of all things – Cathedral Oceans! No. Really! All similarity to ambience ends there. It kicks off, KICKS off – with a track that might be called Over Again – which sounds like Slade and Hendrix covering Perfume by Paris Angels – fantastic!

Please remember – like Rowley Birkin QC – I was very, very drunk, so memory is failing me. It’s all colours and noise and a very happy crowd. The words ‘Space Rock’ come to mind, but not in the CAN sense. I’m trying to find the words for it but all I can think to say is; Louis Gordon and Matty Toffee on four cans of cola and packets of space dust. There’s a very beautiful song that you must hear – Angel on my Shoulder and then the four cans of cola and packets of space dust-power pop of Magic Eye sort of closes the set. The crowd’s in good form, it's been a great evening, and I say sort of closes the set, because whilst breaking the gear down, the ‘Turkey’ song gets played and we get Louis doing Bruce Forsyth-style stage moves whilst simultaneously tidying his guitar cables.

You had to be there.

Prefereably with four cans of cola and packets of space dust.

#35942 12/11/09 03:42 PM
Great review Garry.

I was quite drunk so I can hardly remember much of Wednesday.(Kerry was much worse,I've just been been trying to watch his camera footage but alas it has gone beyond the relms of optical stability!)

Pogoing to Concrete Bulletproof,Invisible yup very very guilty as charged & Tenek's No More Time for fighting (I think)

Louis told me he would play the Turkey song.I wish I could have gone to Camden as well but it was the IT Xmas do last night.I managed to stay out till 10 before the night before caught up with me.

I'm looking forward to more gigs in the new year & the new Louis double album Shaun is assembling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.