Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#35542 01/10/07 10:16 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
The thread about the Nation 12 track "Hear The Drummer Get Wicked" made me think, and rather than hi-jack that thread, I thought I'd start another one.

Are there any other tracks in John's catalogue that people dislike?

Go on, be honest.
We'll never agree on his best - let's see if we can define the worst track he's ever recorded.

Not meaning to upset anyone of course, but hey - It's unrealistic to suggest its ALL brilliant
…Isn't it? :p

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#35543 01/11/07 10:59 AM
In every artists' back catalogue, there lurks an album that flopped or was pretty poor, and songs that some people don't like, and some do.

Agreed, it's a tricky subject. And this time I'll be careful with my grammar!

I'm not keen on the first two Ultravox! albums, so as I haven't heard them in their entirety, I can't really comment on them.

John's back catalogue is so vast and varied, there's bound to be conflicting tastes, but we cshould be careful not to be over-critical.

There are quite a few tracks on various albums that just aren't my cup of tea, and tend to skip, in preference of getting to one I prefer - but if I do end up listening to them, I don't mind them. For example, "Tidal Wave", "Swimmer 2" and "Smoke".

Then there are tracks that make me squirm, which I nearly always end up skipping, such as "Listen to the Drummer", "A Kind of Wave", "Once In A While", "Forgotten Years".

Aside from a couple of bonus tracks, In Mysterious Ways does absolutely nothing for me, and I don't hink I've ever played it all the way through. It's just not like listening to John. Having said that, I don't think there is a single track I "hate" and would never listen to.

As for the worst thing he's recorded – I'm sure our opinions will vary. I'd probably choose something from the first two 'vox albums.

#35544 01/11/07 12:05 PM
Happy New Year all!

Don't know if you'll all remember me - I just started to post on the Ultravox forum just before it closed! So - Hello again.

Got to say I love 'Tidal Wave' - it's so minimal and the imagery is surreal - 'Tidal wave; goes by my window'

But back to the topic at hand - The only tracks I take umbrage at are most of 'Mysterious Ways' - but I take umbrage at the music and production not the songs themselves.

Other tracks that bug me - 'Invisible Women' and 'Nightlife'; I can't put my finger on it but 'John Foxx lite' would sum it up. Having said that, the new version of 'Nightlife' on 'Live From A Room...' is really, really good, and I can't find fault with a single track he released last year - I'd go so far as to say that 'From Trash' is his best album since he re-started back in '96 and may even take over 'Metamatic' as my favourite...maybe!

#35545 01/11/07 12:14 PM
Hello!

I've seen "Nightlife" get some stick in the past, but it's always been a track I enjoyed. I suppose, because Modern Art was the first Foxx album I got, to introduce me to his work, as I didn't know any of it. At the time, "Nightlife" stood out as modern and vibrant.

Now, in retrospect and having heard almost everything he's done, I can say it's by no means one of his greatest musical acievements, but I am still rather fond of it.

The funny thing is, that I wasn't so keen on the new version – until it changed half way through and the new verses kicked in. That second half is really great.

#35546 01/11/07 12:32 PM
Hi Alex,

While we're talking about new versions - what do you make of the new version of 'Touch and Go'?

I thought it was jaw-dropping - really loved the extended bit (coda?) where the line 'I'm waking up in the moving windows' is harmonised and looped between John and Louis

#35547 01/11/07 01:51 PM
I absolutely agree - I love the new version, particularly for that new ending.

I played "Live From A Room" a lot when I got it, and I recently played the original version of "Touch & Go" again, and I really missed the extra lyrics.

Normally new versions of songs rarely compete with the originals, but I certainly think that the new versions of "Touch & Go" and "Metal Beat" come close to being better – in my opinion, of course!

#35548 01/11/07 08:59 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Invisible Women is a good choice.

Doesn't move me at all...

I think this thread may belong in the Green Room. Sorry I stuck it in here!

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#35549 01/12/07 09:05 AM
I always liked "Invisible Women", despite it's bizarre lyrics and recycling of the "Underpass" riff.

I think it has a terriffic end section.

...but again, personal taste! wink

#35550 01/12/07 09:52 AM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
Invisible Women is a good choice.

Doesn't move me at all...

I think this thread may belong in the Green Room. Sorry I stuck it in here!
Mind you, having said that, it is a perceptive lyric.
We all lahve them, these invisible women, drifting around the periphery of our lives...

#35551 01/12/07 04:24 PM
I find it hard to pick out tracks form John that are bad, just some are not as good as others. I tend to skip Concrete, Bulletproof Invisable, Smoke and Listen to the Drummer. If I had to choose the weakest album and the one I tend to play least is IMW.

I love the extended version of Nightlife, and both versions of Touch & Go.

For me it's just a matter of personnel taste.
peter

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.