Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
OP Offline
J
What's the story behind this line? Is it a Nation 12 original, or did Simenon et al. sample it? I've heard this particular snippet on a variety of contemporary recordings (sadly, none of which come to mind at the moment), but I've never been able to isolate the source.

I'm not a huge fan of the accompanying song (just not my cup o' tea), but I relish the thought of John being involved in yet another quietly influential project.

Administrator
Administrator
"Hear the Drummer (Get Wicked)" is the title of one of the defining breakbeat songs of the Acid House movement, reaching - I think - No.3 in the UK charts in July 1990, recorded by DJ Chad Jackson.
Jackson, from Manchester, won the title "Technics/DMC World Mixing Champion" in 1987 and was at the time a pioneer in the genre.
The sample used by Nation 12 acknowledges the influence of Jackson, and "Listen to the Drummer" became very influential in its own time.
But as far as I know, the track has little (if anything) to do with John Foxx - Shem McCaulley was asked by Tim Simenon to put together a track for the B-side of "Remember" because Simenon and Foxx had no other material finished.

I think that's right...
(Someone will no doubt correct me if not)
Hope it helps

cool

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Administrator
Administrator
The above post appeared twice?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
J
OP Offline
J
Hmm, that's odd. I thought all the Nation 12 material was recorded between 1988 and 1989. If Jackson released his song in 1990, then surely he swiped it from either Nation 12 or some other source.

Thanks for the info. This is all news to me!

L
L
Quote:
Originally posted by John Foxxworthy:
Hmm, that's odd. I thought all the Nation 12 material was recorded between 1988 and 1989. If Jackson released his song in 1990, then surely he swiped it from either Nation 12 or some other source.

Thanks for the info. This is all news to me!
Sorry for coming to this a bit late. Yes, you're absolutely right JF, it's from a different source (by the way, thanks for the phone call [at last] EG - yes, Merry Chrimbo to you also. But enough of the 'peace to all men' bananas you spouted last night, you still didn't answer the question of 'where's that £100 you owe me?!...'). The sample used by Chad Jackson is taken from Marva Whitney's 1969 funk/soul influenced 'Unwind Yourself'. It's a great tune as I seem to recall (if your club of choice manages to track down the recording - it was a few years back now).

Anyway, onwards. All the best.

LG
x

Administrator
Administrator
Well, there you go.

Thanks guys, seems ~ :rolleyes: I got the basics rigfht

This explains why I always skip this track everytime I play the nation 12 CD. For me the song just gets on my nerves. eek
Peter

J
OP Offline
J
Same here. I love the rest of the CD, but this track has grated on me since day one.

H
H
From my experience, the last thing you should do with drummers is listen to them.....

That track is just awful! It sounds SO 1990!

That atrocity aside, the Electrofear album is brilliant. A lot of it might be a bit rough, but it's such an interesting collection of songs and starting points.

I'm really glad it got released, and it was nice to hear a proper version of "Into the Wonderful".

Back in 1991 I used to play the "Gods" gane on my Amiga. The music on the title screen, by "Nation 12" seemed like a milestone in computer game music. Back then I didn't even know who John was, so it's funny how a track in a game I liked when I was 13 would turn out to be by an artist I would subsequently like and be hugely inspired by.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.