Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35474 11/12/07 03:08 PM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
I got the AjantaMusic album recently. It took me quite by surprise, first of all, not knowing what to expect, but also to hear such worldly diversity. I guess I've only been used to hearing Robin's guitar work on John's albums and on SOR, so to hear such a range of styles was really great.

Parts of the album reminded me of some of Mike Oldfield's later work, and work of a Swedish musician I like, Bjorn Lynne.

My wife liked it so much she'd run away with the CD before I'd even imported it into iTunes!

Anyway I thought the album was a refreshing and relaxing listen. Atmospheric and dreamy. More organic than electronic. I've been listening to a lot of synthesiser music recently, so it also made a nice change to remind myself that there ARE other instruments out there! wink

I just wondered what everyone else thought about it?

#35475 11/12/07 05:25 PM
This album is very nice to listen to. It's music you not listen very often to - like C.O. from John.

But absolutely beautiful music, very relaxing. I like it!

I'm curios of the new one.
Paul and Robin made collaborations with great musicians for it... I'm very interested into their work with Dave Formula on that album.

Cheers, Andreas

#35476 11/12/07 08:25 PM
Administrator
Administrator
I liked it at first, but that is always a suspiscious sign. It's not an album I've played since until this week, and it disappointed me.

I generally find that I am game for anything on the music playing field, but usually it is 'world music' that I leave on the bench.
Just not my cup of tea, and elements of this project drift 'out of bounds' too often to really hold my interest.

Maybe its just too, well, "nice"...?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#35477 11/13/07 09:53 AM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
I suppose that kind of thing sometimes feel like the sort of music you hear in a shop that sells insence and gem stones, or in your favourite thai restaurant or whatever. Having said that I'd give anything for my own music to be played in either of the above!!

But I know what you mean about world or new age music, Martin. I like some of it but not all of it. Being a hardcore follower of Peter Gabriel, I have voluntarily engaged in what is termed as "world music", which isn't usually my cup of tea, but some interesting music does come out of it. I love how Gabriel himself has fused elements of world styles with his own brand of rock. I guess a bit of that has crept into Oldfield's later albums, and definately on "And Now We Dream", which I guess is why I like it.

But I think it's probably one of those albums that works best while you're working or enjoying dinner with a loved one or guests. "Background music" sounds like an insult, but I certainly don't believe it to be - I think it's just this kind of music that can put you in a certain positive and relaxed frame of mind and certainly music to add a great atmosphere and ambience to your living room wink

#35478 11/13/07 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
But I think it's probably one of those albums that works best while you're working or enjoying dinner with a loved one or guests. "Background music" sounds like an insult, but I certainly don't believe it to be - I think it's just this kind of music that can put you in a certain positive and relaxed frame of mind and certainly music to add a great atmosphere and ambience to your living room wink
I want to second that. This is I like this album for.
smile Andreas

#35479 11/13/07 02:37 PM
I will have to dig this album out again and give it another spin.

To be honest I wasn't overly keen on it on first hearing. It did have a "background" music feel. My opinion only.

Peter :rolleyes:

#35480 11/13/07 03:04 PM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
It's an album of incredible musicianship, and I found that I prefered the tracks towards the end of the album. Don't put it on expecting to hear lots of synths and Systems of Romance style guitars! I guess it's a kind of music that either appeals to you or it doesn't. As a general lover of instrumental music, I had to hear their work.

Although Robin's guitar playing on John's albums is very distinctive, I find it is less so on And Now We Dream, probably because of the varying styles.

You certainly cannot compare the playing to any of his work on John's albums!

#35481 11/13/07 09:30 PM
Its not really my kind of album although its well written and recorded, theres no doubt about that.
Have to agree with the 'world music' phrase as that best describes it for me. Ive played it just a few times and in some ways it reminds me of Eno's 'Another Green World'.

#35482 12/04/07 10:06 AM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
I think it will be interesting to hear how the sound and style evolves on their next album.

#35483 12/28/07 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
Ive played it just a few times and in some ways it reminds me of Eno's 'Another Green World'.
I would have to agree about the 'hint' of Another Green World.

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.