Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I actually think 4'33" of people listening to silence on Christmas Day would be rather useful. The stuff that can race around in your head in such a short time is amazing.

Quote:
Originally posted by the church puddle:
Just had a thought. Although it is of course highly appropriate for the Quiet Man to be involved, didn't I hear somewhere that he once wanted to be a machine? Perhaps John was the cougher that required a second take. wink
Maybe John's cough will be released as a bonus track when DNA gets reissued! :p

and OMG there really are a whole load of remixes!
smile

Enjoy the Silence?

Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
and OMG there really are a whole load of remixes!
smile
5.1 Surround?

The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Click here to see a film documenting the recording of the Cage Against The Machine track...

Rob

oops... spelling mistake .. .Radio 1 obviously very sensitive to the importance of this track
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/11990058
:rolleyes:

Administrator
Administrator
I look forward to hearing it played, in full, on air this coming Sunday then

Wonder what Reggie Yates reason for skipping past it will be...?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Administrator
Administrator
OK fair play. He didn't skip it, but did avoid referencing 'Cage Against The Machine'

Made No 21.

So that means John Foxx is back in the charts - a fitting way to end his 30th 'Anniversary'!! laugh

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
:rolleyes: Oooooops!!! ,
I didn't actually notice this thread before I placed my own post about 'Cage Against The Machine' in the Green Room last night (my only excuse is that it was very late!). Thanks to Birdsong for pointing this out to me.

For a track with no sound, it's quite something to get to number 21 and amazing that they actually played it on the radio. I can imagine plenty of people thinking that something had gone wrong when there was no sound on the airwaves for four and a half mins.

Interesting to see how some of the people in the room didn't quite know what to do with themselves during the silent period and started swaying together from side to side (just stopping short of a Mexican wave!), with some others rocking their heads quite a lot, seemingly to some unheard beat playing in their own head.

Also quite surprising that all the various movements didn't get captured by the sensitive studio microphones and become a part of the track. After all, John Cage did intend for ambient sounds from the immediate environment to become a part of the piece and not necessarily for the whole thing to be completely silent. I wonder if the studio wiped any sounds from the recording, or maybe if it's turned up loud enough, there is actually something there?

All in all, a fascinating experiment to bring such an avant garde piece to the chart-centric populace.

Out for now,
Garden cool

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.